The Community Foundation of Washington County MD was established as a permanent and growing philanthropic vehicle for charitably minded people and corporations to contribute financial resources that enrich the community’s quality of life. Income from our various funds offers financial support, in the form of grants, allowing us to meet current needs and prepare for the future. We support a wide-range of qualified nonprofit organizations and causes, primarily in Washington County, Maryland. Our grant making objectives include:
- Support creative, focused, results-oriented responses to existing or emerging community challenges
- Reward efforts that recognize and build on community strengths and assets
- Improve the effectiveness and build the capacity of Washington County’s nonprofit organizations
- Facilitate cooperation and collaboration among community organizations
We offer the following granting programs: Responsive Grants, the Mary K. Bowman Fine Arts Fund, the new Forward Funding Challenge, the Women’s Giving Circle Fund and FANS Fund. Additionally, we facilitate work to meet the charitable goals of individual donors through donor-advised funds and scholarships.
Forward Funding Challenge
The new Forward Funding Challenge encourages local nonprofit organizations to create innovative and ongoing fundraising efforts. Organizations must be based in and serving Washington County, Maryland. The project or idea must be new to the organization. The initiative is not to expand capacity of programs offered, but to aid organizations in developing a sustained funding source.
The Community Foundation held its first live event on February 27th before a panel of judges similar to the hit NBC TV Show “Shark Tank.” Check back for details on the 2018 Forward Funding Challenge.
What We Fund
Each year, we direct Community Foundation Grants to programs and activities addressing the areas of greatest need. For 2017, our grants committee established the following funding statement:
The Community Foundation’s Responsive Grants will focus on the development of a stronger community through programs related to youth development with an emphasis on poverty, mental health, education and family stability.
The application for the Community Foundation’s 2017 Responsive Granting Program is now closed. Awards were made in March.
What We Do Not Fund
The Community Foundation usually will NOT approve grant requests for:
- Funding annual operating expenses
- Endowment campaigns
- Projects that would ordinarily receive public tax support
- Sectarian religious programs
- Political activities or organizations
- Special fundraising events/celebration functions
- Scholarships or financial assistance for grades K-12
- Deficit retirement
- Capital campaigns
- Any organization whose board of directors or programs are not primarily based in Washington County, MD
We review each application for completeness, clarity and eligibility. Then the Foundation’s Grants Committee evaluates the applications and directs grant money to specific nonprofit organizations with final approval from the board of trustees.
The Community Foundation makes financial commitments only one year at a time. Please direct any questions concerning grants to Kristy Smith, director of grants and donor relations, at 301-745-5210.