Mary K. Bowman Fund for Historical and Fine Arts Grants More than $65,000 to Local Nonprofits
The Mary K. Bowman Fund for Historical and Fine Arts recently awarded its 2020 grants. The Mary K. Bowman Fund provides financial support for current charitable and educational initiatives that preserve and maintain historical and cultural properties in Washington County. It also promotes the fine arts, history and historic preservation while encouraging the interest in and study of such matters. Preference may be given to initiatives supported by Miss Bowman prior to her passing.
This year’s fund awarded $65,546 to the following 15 local nonprofit organizations:
- Barbara Ingram School for the Arts Foundation: $1,096 for the Summer Arts Academy.
- C&O Canal Trust: $5,000 for canal classrooms in Williamsport.
- Hagerstown Aviation Museum: $6,000 to support the Fairchild PT-19 Aircraft restoration project.
- Hagerstown Community Concert Association: $1,500 for student outreach.
- Hagerstown Day Nursery: $4,100 for the children at the center to attend all Kinder Konzerts and visit the Discovery Station and Washington County Museum of Fine Arts.
- Maryland Symphony Orchestra: $10,000 to support the 2020-21 Kinder Konzert series.
- Sharpsburg Historical Society: $2,000 to repair and restore the wrought iron fence at the Methodist cemetery.
- Washington County Arts Council: $1,000 for the Art Educators of Washington County 2021 Exhibit.
- Washington County Historical Society: $6,500 for the Seibert collection.
- Washington County Historical Trust: $5,000 to restore the Saylor House at Kiwanis Park.
- Washington County Museum of Fine Arts: $15,355 to support youth art education programs during 2020-21.
- Maryland Wind Music: $1,000 for the Cumberland Valley Conducting Summit and Washington County programs.
- Citizens Assisting and Sheltering the Abused: $3,745 for the door replacement at the Emergency Shelter.
- The Maryland Theatre: $1,000 for the storyboard plaque featuring George Wagner.
- The Women’s Club Foundation: $2,250 for refurbishing and restoring window sashes.
Donors can support The Mary K. Bowman Fund or any of its 350 funds or create a charitable fund of their own. To learn how to create a fund at the Community Foundation, please visit www.cfwcmd.org, or call (301) 745-5210.