Mary K. Bowman Fund for Historical and Fine Arts Grants More than $66,000 to Local Nonprofits
The Mary K. Bowman Fund for Historical and Fine Arts, a fund of the Community Foundation of Washington County MD, Inc. presented its 2018 grants at the C&O Canal in Williamsport. The Mary K. Bowman Fund provides financial support for current charitable and educational initiatives that preserve and maintain historical and cultural properties in Washington County. It also promotes the fine arts, history and historic preservation while encouraging the interest in and study of such matters. Preference may be given to initiatives supported by Miss Bowman prior to her passing.
- Barbara Ingram School for the Arts Foundation: $1,090 for the Summer Arts Academy for students in 5th-12th grade.
- C&O Canal Trust: $5,000 for canal classrooms in Williamsport providing a multidisciplinary STEAM program to 4th graders.
- Clear Spring District Historical Association: $723 to preserve Civil War era flags.
- Fort Ritchie Community Center: $4,500 for the Summer Arts & History program for children ages 6-13.
- Friends of Tolson’s Chapel: $1,460 for the Chapel’s on-site educational experience.
- Hagerstown Aviation Museum: $5,000 to support a mobile exhibit trailer project.
- Hagerstown Community Concert Association: $2,000 to provide students in grades 5-7 a high energy performance by Vocal Trash that teaches the importance of green sustainability and anti-bullying.
- Hagerstown Day Nursery: $4,150 for the children at the center to attend Kinder Konzerts.
- Maryland Symphony Orchestra: $10,000 to support the 2018-19 Kinder Konzert series.
- National Road Heritage Foundation: $1,200 to obtain an illustration for the engineering and paving exhibit at the National Road Museum.
- Robert W. Johnson Community Center: $924 for an after school fine arts program open to children ages 6-12.
- St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church: $3,500 for the restoration and preservation of the historic “Rabboni” stained-glass window.
- Washington County Arts Council: $1,000 for the Art Educators of Washington County 2019 Exhibit.
- Washington County Historical Trust: $7,500 to restore the Saylor House at Kiwanis Park.
- Washington County Museum of Fine Arts: $16,635 to support youth art education programs during 2018-19.
- Women’s Club Foundation: $1,550 to restore and refurbish the front portico on the building.