Community Foundation Awards $93,071 in Grants to Area Nonprofits
The Community Foundation of Washington County MD, Inc. awarded its 2021 responsive grant recipients totaling $93,071 to 20 local non-profit organizations. The event, held virtually on Thursday, March 18th, can be viewed in full here.
The grants committee selected Washington County nonprofits and programs focused on the development of a stronger community through programs addressing family stability, including all stages of life, financial literacy, employment, mental health, and basic needs; Youth Development with a focus on mentoring, school readiness, and advocacy; arts, recreation, and education opportunities for our youth and the underserved.
Resources for the responsive grants come from the growth and earnings of established community funds at the Community Foundation as well as a partnership with the Pauline Anderson Foundation. The Community Foundation awarded grants to the following 21 programs:
- American Red Cross of Greater Shenandoah Valley: to further develop their home fire campaign in Washington County.
- The Arc of Washington County: to fund the installation of patient lifts for their more medically complex clients.
- Boys & Girls Club of Washington County: to increasingly support academic success for boys and girls within their many programs.
- CASA Citizens Assisting & Sheltering the Abused, Inc.: to fund their emergency shelter program.
- Children in Need: to further support their monthly client visits through the purchase of supplies including, but not limited to, toiletries and school supplies.
- Coffman Nursing Home: to purchase Arjo lift equipment, ensuring the safe lifting of residents.
- Discovery Station at Hagerstown, Inc.: to fund their “Common Cents” community building initiative.
- Doleman Black Heritage Museum: for artifacts conservation and to support their arts & culture programming.
- Education Foundation of Washington County Public Schools (WCPS): to support their Agricultural Innovative grants program.
- Education Foundation of Washington County Public Schools (WCPS): to support their Financial Literacy – Immersive Experience program.
- Ft. Ritchie Community Center: to support their Rural Youth Fitness Challenge.
- Girls Inc. of Washington County: to support their K.I.D.S. (Kids, Integrating, Developing, Succeeding) program.
- Hagerstown YMCA: to purchase equipment for Play Safe Bike Court.
- Hope Through Birth: to fund their bereavement program for those who’ve experienced miscarriage, stillbirth, or neonatal loss.
- Lasting Change/Recovery Solutions for Women: to further develop their workforce development program.
- San Mar Family and Community Services: to provide relief support for foster families during a period of home education.
- The Salvation Army Hagerstown: to further develop initiatives the Shifler Community Center’s educational and athletic programs, helping to strengthen our community’s youth.
- United Way of Washington County MD, Inc.: to fund residential projects that will be implemented during their annual Day of Caring.
- Washington County Fellowship of Christian Athletes: to fund various costs associated with their summer camp program at Wheaton Park, Hagerstown.
- Washington County Museum of Fine Arts: to help further develop their virtual after school enrichment program.
- Women of Valor Ministries: to help develop their Earn While You Learn Program (EWYL) which teaches critical life management skills to help clients function independently within the community.